Can you homeschool someone else's children?

Question:I live in Georgia. I've pondered the thought of taking in a few kids in a daycare setting in my home, but I would prefer to school them also. I have a 4 and 2 year old that I am schooling.

It's not necessarily true that you need a license. It will depend completely upon homeschooling laws, as well as home business laws, where you live. First, check with homeschooling laws where you live. Looking at this , as long as you have a GED or high school diploma, you could function as a tutor. However, there might also be the possibility of functioning as a daycare, which would probably give you even more tax credits and would give the parents a tax credit (if you get tax credits for childcare there).

Then, check into how you could run that in your home. You might be able to run it as an in-home daycare or as a tutoring business without any fuss. Completely depends on city laws, that one. Where I live, you don't need any sort of license to run a dayhome (like a daycare, but without any required credentials and with limits to the number of kids and all that), but a tutoring business in your home would require a business license. A town just outside my city requires a license for a dayhome. All depends on where you live!
Not without a license and approval from the state. Other paperwork and qualifications are also necessary.
It is possible, but you will have to meet local requirements for home schools. The requirements should be available through your local school district, but may be somewhat hard to get.
The only laws with which you will need to comply are that of local day care providers. The children you intend to teach are below the compulsory education age for your state. It is that simple.
Happy home schooling!
Sharon :)
You have to check state laws for your area and see if there are any restrictions.

Technically ANYONE can TUTOR anyone, but to hold yourself out formally as a teacher is often illegal unless you are certfied. Some states specifically exempt only a parent or blood relative to a child.
There are a lot of unknowns in your question. Are you thinking of taking in school-age children to teach them? Or other pre-school-age kids?

If you want to teach school-age kids, you'll need to find out what Georgia's law says about private schools (I don't live there, so I don't know). They may require you to have a teaching certificate in order to do this.

If you're talking about pre-school-age kids, this falls under the daycare laws rather than private school, even if you teach them. Many states allow you to care for up to 6 kids without requiring a license. Again, since I don't live in GA, I don't know what their law says.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Check your state homeschooling laws. Depending on the age of compulsory education in your state the children may not be old enough for the law to apply. I homeschooled a child, in addition to my own, for 7th and 8th grade in Arizona. All the parent had to do was to file with the state and let them know that the child was being homeschooled.

This article contents is post by this website user, doesn't promise its accuracy.

More Questions & Answers...
  • Everv hear of No Schooling...?
  • Compare, contrast samples with (suggested) answers for Grades 3 or 4?
  • SUPERIMPORTANTOk, so im in a fix, will you help me?
  • Question for homeschool parents and kids?
  • How can I be Not nervous for the first day of school?
  • Home schooling?
  • Correspondence?
  • What are some things that a 9th grader should know academically?
  • Islamic Homeschooling?
  • How exactly do you do a unit study?
  • Copyright 2006-2009 All Rights Reserved.